Thursday 26 September 2013

Happy Birthday to me


Went into the office with Chandra today he has helped a lot with the translating since my Nepali is pretty much next to nothing other than namaste, Tonight a taxi driver was  teaching us to say right. Could come in handy as long as you only have to turn right. Today was my last day of work and tomorrow Babina will be taking me into the office for my end of mandate meeting. The first two weeks I was alone at the office and this week the two long term volunteers from Halifax have been there. Nice to be able to have a conversation with somebody. This afternoon Uddhav took us for a little walk around Chapagaon. We went to a little forested area with a temple it was a nice leisurely walk.Nice to get out of the office for a bit. Had a meeting with Uddhav and Chandra going over the database I had created for them. It is very basic but it will give them something to work with and develop as needed. Chandra was like a sponge and was very keen to learn. He was great to work with.

I spent my birthday evening with a bunch of strangers. There are some aussie university students that invited us to their party. Was nice to get out for the evening … where should I spend my birthday next year?
 
I had to get to the party by myself since my roomies were going straight from work. I called my trustworthy Shyam to take me since I knew he would not leave me stranded. Getting anywhere in Kathmandu is very interesting to say the least since there are no street names. These are the directions I got to get to their place.

OK so tell the cab driver to go to Roadhouse cafe in Jhamsikhel, near St Mary's School. From Roadhouse Cafe, if you're facing the cafe, turn right and walk about 50 m. You'll hit a yellow sign for Dan Ran Japanese restaurant. Turn left into that lane and we're the first blue gate on your right.
Alternatively, if the cab driver doesn't know where Roadhouse cafe is, tell him go up Pulchowk Road (you'll pass the Himalayan Hotel on your left). Then turn right at the big Suzuki sign, at the overpass bridge and with Namaste Supermarket on your left. Go down that lane and turn left where the Kantipur Radio building is. Don't go uphill into the radio building, just keep going straight and we're the blue gate on your left. You'll see a terrace with prayer flags.

Made it there thanks to Shyam, worth the 500 rupees I paid him.

Namaste

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Rhonda!!! I sure hope you are enjoying your last few days in Nepal :) Cant wait to hear about all your stories when you get back home. Safe travels this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday as well. Thanks for the great pictures and posts. It is a nice snapshot of another country. Facing challenges and overcoming them is very rewarding, as is helping other people with your talents and skills. Virtual high five and keep on being AWESOME!!!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete