Sunday 8 September 2013

Hey Toto were not in Kansas anymore


I arrived in Kathmandu safe and sound and my luggage arrived with me which made me very happy. Immigration went smoothly and off I went to see if I could find someone from Uniterra. On the way I saw some young ladies with a Canadian flag on their luggage. So I decided to talk to them and found out that they were from Uniterra as well. Walked outside together and found our ride. Took our luggage to the van and got in the van and there were a lot of guys hanging around really didn’t think about it but they just wanted money. They came to us and asked for tips. We thought okay they helped put our luggage in the van we can pay them. Between all of us they got $85 U.S. pretty good day for them I must say. I only gave them $5, so at least I wasn’t hurting that much. They were not from Uniterra we just got scammed Kathmandu style. Mary I know you mentioned this to me but I thought that it was in the airport that there was a problem. A porter asked me if I wanted help and I said no, then someone wanted to know if I needed a taxi and I said no then they said who is picking you up is it your travel agency. I thought there is no way I am telling you because then you will say you are them. I wasn’t born yesterday. So with all that going on I thought hey I paid heed to what Mary said, not realizing that there was more danger out there.

Hey Jenn R I think I got your bedroom sweet digs. Love that I have a  balcony. They are doing renos on the house next door and right now it is quite loud. I also hear the dogs but will try not to look since they aren’t treated very good. Also, took a shower that was an experience, we were talking about it and it really needs to be a tag team effort.

On the way to the Passage House saw dogs on the street not a pretty sight.  Didn’t do the festival but saw a lot of the ladies all dressed up in their red saris. The women here are very pretty. The traffic was crazier than Cairo there is no rhyme or reason to what they do.The honking has got to stop as I say that someone just honked their horn. They know what I am writing and are not happy. Maybe while I am here I can educate them about turn signals what a novel idea.

Going out for supper with all the. volunteers tonight. We are going to the Thamel district for some authentic Nepalese food. Better be authentic considering where I am.

 Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment