Monday 23 September 2013

Weekend in Pokhara

Got picked up  on Saturday at 7:00 A.M. by Shyam for my 8:30 flight to Pokhara. Thanks to Shyam I got to the airport safe and sound. He walked me right to where departures were to make sure I knew where I was going. The flight was only around 30 minutes, just get up then you start to descend. Followed the crowd and found the shuttle driver that took me to the hotel. Checked in and went to my room, real nice and it has air conditioning I am going to sleep good tonight.  Had a late breakfast and  waited for the driver to take me on my city tour. Went to the International Museum, Devis Falls and  the Gupteshwor Mahadev cave. Not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to go in a cave since I don’t like caves. Walked down about 40 metres, ok I think I will be alright then had to duck down to go into a cave, not feeling great about this now. People were not moving in front of me and more people were behind me. I had to get out of there and went back up. Only cost 100 rp or $1.00 cdn. Wouldn’t have mattered if it cost more I was getting out regardless. Then I went to a  Tibetan Refugee Camp which by the name I thought it was going to be a Tibetan Refugee  Camp, it was a showroom for carpets made by Tiibetans. That was a bit of a disappointment. Then went to the Peace Stupa absolutely lovely. It was an 1800 metre elevation gain and worth every step. After walking around the Stupa I sat down and took in all the beauty around me. The driver dropped me off in the touristy area and  I had a bite to eat and did some people watching one of my favourite past times. Then I went shopping, had a great time doing that. The last shuttle for the hotel was at 8:00, walked around until then and went back to the hotel. Had a fabulous day.  Gave some of the Canadian souvenirs to some local kids. I took some pics I will post them for all to see.

 Got up at 4:30 A.M. had a 35 minute drive to Sarangkot to see the sunrise over the Annapurna mountains. It was beautiful and their were no clouds it was amazing to see the reflections of the sun on the peaks through the different stages of the sunrise. Well worth the early morning. I spent a few hours downtown just walking around. Didn’t want to go any restaurant just wanted a bench to sit down and take it all in. There aren’t any benches to speak of, no surprise they want you to keep on walking and looking in their shops. I sat down a few times on someone’s stoop and almost immediately someone set shop up beside me selling their wares. They just carry whatever they are selling in a backpack and when they see a willing victim spread everything out with the hopes that you will buy something.  I bought some spices and am excited to try them out. Done with the souvenir shopping … famous last words.

Namaste

 
 
 



 


 





 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds lovely!! Amazing experiences all around and what a way to stop, reflect and just be :)

    ReplyDelete