Sunday 9 June 2013

Applying for Leave for Change


November 30, 2012, was the deadline to apply for Leave for Change.  I applied for L4C in 2011 even though I wasn’t accepted, I didn’t let that deter me. I knew that I wanted to volunteer overseas, so I went online and looked into volunteer opportunities and  decided to go on a 2 week volunteer/tour in Costa Rica volunteering at a turtle conservatory.

 Now to start filling out the application. Since I had already gone through this process last year I knew what had to be done, so I completed the application and sent it off.  Received an email that I was one of the applicants that they wanted to have an interview with. After last years interview I had written down all the questions that I had remembered  so I went through these questions and made sure that I was prepared and had an answer for anything they threw at me. My interview was on Monday January 14, it was a telephone interview so I spread all my paperwork out in front of me to refer to. The interview lasted about 1 hour and I felt very confident about the entire process. I did what I could and now it was up to the universe. 
 
I received an email on January 22 saying that I had been accepted . Now what, I was so excited and so terrified at the same time. What have I done? Can I do this, do I have the skills needed to accomplish what is expected of me?  The next step in the process was to match my skills with a mandate overseas. My resume was sent to the field office for them to make the final decision.

 Got my mandate, now I know where I am going. I am going to Lalitpur, Nepal and will be working with the Lalitpur District Milk Producers Cooperative Union (DPMCU). The office is in Chapagon, Lalitpur District south of Kathmandu. My mandate is to review their record keeping and identify any additional information needs. I will be working with the staff to enter and compile existing information into a database.  I will train members on how to update and maintain the database. My mandate is from September 09  - 28, 2013.

You know you have made it when you see your name in print. The following notice was sent to all of the Sovereign offices across Canada. I didn't let the fame go to my head though, mind you I did have an autograph session.

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment